Harnessing Enrichment-based Learning through Maritime-focused programs
A Program of the YMCA of the Chesapeake
utilizing the art of wooden boat building to help students develop self-confidence, purpose, and team-building skills
Based on the proven Rocking the Boat program, developed in 1997.
Teens don't just build boats, boats build teens.
Open to all Talbot County high school students (grades 9-12), with a particular focus on Easton-based youth, whether they are a YMCA member or not. This program is a free program for participants, funded entirely through donor contributions.
- to utilize the art of wooden boat building to
-- strengthen student's self-confidence
-- ignite a sense of purpose
-- develop team building skills
- to develop a range of technical skills that are highly transferable to both academic and working worlds by
-- studying building plans
-- assembling, building, and launching the boats into local waters
-- incorporating STEM-principles in fun and tangible building steps
- to provide a safe-haven for at-risk students through social and academic services, outdoor adventures, college tours, and community involvement
- to expose students to their natural environment and beautiful waterways of Talbot County
- to develop increasing leadership skills and employment opportunities through Y apprentice programs